Compiled from the archives of the Manitoba Transit Heritage Association.
Start here and just scroll down through the history of Selkirk’s Public Transit service.
Selkirk's Public Transit History
Selkirk and Winnipeg have been been linked by reguarly scheduled passenger service from before the construction of the Canadian Pacific Railway line. The Northwest Omnibus Company initiated tri-weekly stagecoach as early as 1879.
The Winnipeg, Selkirk and Lake Winnipeg Railway Company (WS&LW) was incorporated on July 5, 1900 to build and operate a steam or electric railway from Winnipeg north to West Selkirk or the west shore of Lake Winnipeg.
Steam railway operation commenced August 29, 1904 (formal opening ceremonies held August 26, 1904) from Winnipeg via Middlechurch and Lockport to Selkirk.
Controlling interest in the WS&LW was acquired by the Winnipeg Electric Railway Company (Winnipeg's city system) March 1, 1906. Limited electric service began in June 1906 but full electric operation was not ready until May 23, 1908.
Motor buses began serving selected Winnipeg - Selkirk runs on June 11, 1931. All Selkirk - Winnipeg electric railway operations ceased in favour of buses on September 1, 1931.
Local service within Selkirk was provided with a flat rate fare from the downtown depot to the town limits and all intermediate bus stops along Main Street.
Suburban bus service between Selkirk and Winnipeg continued after interurban electric railway operations ceased. WS&LW a subsidiary of WECo, the Winnipeg city system, and all buses carried the parent company's name until the service was marketed as Selkirk Streamliner in the late 1940s.
Beaver Bus Lines Limited was incorporated on December 11, 1945 having previously operated as St. Vital Bus Lines. On October 1, 1948 Beaver Bus Lines assumed ownership of the suburban transit service between Selkirk and Winnipeg.
Local service continued within Selkirk between bus stops along Main Street.
Local bus service within the City of Selkirk started on May 30, 2011. The introductory service operated fare-free from May 30 until July 1, 2011. The service contract operator, Selkirk & District Handibus, initiated the service using two Arboc "cut-away" buses.
The transit service is funded by the City of Selkirk, the Province of Manitoba and fares collected from passengers.
A transit style bus was purchased from Grande West (Vicinity Motor Corporation) and began regular operation on the city transit route.
As of July 1, 2016 Beaver Bus Lines ceased all scheduled service between Selkirk and Winnipeg, including local service along Main Street within the City of Selkirk boundary.
A second transit style bus was purchased from Grande West (Vicinity Motor Corporation) and was put into regular service.
MANITOBA TRANSIT HERITAGE ASSOCIATION